Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get in touch with the Priest outside of the Mass times?

It is always wise to telephone or email the priest for an appointment. The parish does not have any secretary, receptionist, or other workers, so kindly just leave your name and number if you cannot get through immediately.

Pastor’s email:

Pastor’s mobile number:  079 013-8985

Please be on time for your appointment. If you are late, it is probable that the priest will not be able to see you due to other duties. Make a realistic appointment and keep it.

The office of the parish priest is located at the south end of the Jesuit Center, 43 Al-Razi Street, Jabal Hussein. It has its own outside staircase. When you arrive for your appointment, call the priest by mobile phone or on the intercom-phone at the door of the Center, and he will advise you about the exact way to his office.

How can I get a copy of my Record of Sacraments?

All records of the sacraments you receive are kept at the church where the sacrament took place.Sacred Heart English-Language Parish is a “Personal” parish, and all of its sacramental activities take place in the regular or “territorial” parishes. Your records are at the “territorial” parish. Contacts of various churches used by the English-Language Parish are located on the website and here is the list of churches:

St. John Baptiste de LaSalle Church
Latin Convent
PO Box 926126
11110 Jabal Hussein, Amman, Jordan
Phone: + 962 (06) 566-1757

St. Mary of Nazareth
Latin Convent
PO Box 851083
11185 Amman
Phone: + 962 (06) 592-0740

Is there another Sacred Heart Parish in Jordan or Amman?

Yes. And there is some confusion when persons overseas look for records. The other Sacred Heart Parish is also a Latin (Roman) Catholic parish; it is a regular parish of the Vicariate of Amman, and services are in Arabic. It is very busy and large, and many records for the regular Catholic people are kept there. Your record may be there, especially if you are Jordanian by birth: Sacred Heart of Jesus, P.O. BOX 448, 1953 Tilaa-el-Ali, Amman; Tel +962 (06) 551-8907.

Also, there is a smaller “Sacred Heart” parish in Na’our. If you are Jordanian by birth, your record could be at this church: Latin Convent, Post Office Box 315, 11710 Na’our, JORDAN. Tel: +962 6 572-7017. Last, the Chaldean (Iraqi) community in Jordan has a Vicariate named “Sacred Heart.” The Chaldean Patriarchal Vicariate, Jabal Al-Hussein – Deir Yaseen Street 10, Amman, JORDAN. Tel: +962 6 568-8431. Website:


If my baby is ready for Baptism, what must I do to proceed and what documents do I need?

Parents of very young children who attend their church on a very regular basis will have no problem scheduling the baptism after consultation with the leadership of their church.

To have your children baptized at Sacred Heart, you must establish yourself as a regular member in your church, you must attend the Seminar for parents, and then receive the appointment for Baptism, which is done a few times per year.

About 6 weeks ahead of the scheduled Baptism, you will need to gather and present the following materials:

1. A Birth Certificate or other civil record with the accurate name of the child, the date of birth, mother’s name (and, in some societies, also the father’s name), and the place of residence at the time of birth.
2. The current address of the child and mother.
3. The names of two practicing Catholics who have agreed to be the Godparents for the child; one must be present for the Baptism and should also attend the Seminar. Only two names are allowed; substitutes, or proxies, or “ honorary” godparents are not recognized by the Catholic Church.

As the godparent of a baby, how can I schedule the Baptism?

Only the parent(s) can ask for Baptism, and the parent(s) must be regular members who attend the church each week. Your duty is to help the parent(s) become regular Catholics if they are not already.

Can I have a private Baptism for my child at the “Baptism Site?”

Baptism is not private. It is a public religious moment with witnesses. The Baptisms of Sacred Heart can take place at the Baptism Site, but the leadership and the Pastor have to discuss this matter for the sake of the entire parish, not for private benefit or desire.


What can the church do to help with preparation for marriage if there are complications (e.g. distance or a previous marriage)?

The priest can assist only persons who are approaching their marriage freely and in a sacramental way.

If you or your spouse is Catholic, it is your right to be married in Christ and to celebrate the Sacrament of Matrimony. If a spouse is abroad, you and your spouse can prepare separately with the help of the parish nearest to each of you, but it will take more time, so please approach the parishes at least 9 months ahead of any planned wedding.

If there is a previous marriage, there may be help toward your planned marriage. Normally, the local bishop and his “tribunal” will seek to investigate the previous union. This can take a lot of time, but it is a “pastoral” service in aid of your proposed marriage.It is very wise to have a few discussions with your pastor about these matters long ahead of your proposed marriage.

How do I prepare my child for First Communion?

At Sacred Heart, children regularly make this next step in their Christian Initiation. Some of our churches have full programs on site; others will have to arrange a preparation. In either case, see the leadership of your regular congregation. The preparation usually begins in September each year with the celebration in May.

How do I prepare for Confirmation?

At Sacred Heart, young men and women can prepare for Confirmation by contacting the leadership of their congregation. Confirmation programs are not available at every church, so it is important to discuss where and when the programs are held with the congregation leadership. The formation process for Confirmation takes about a year.

Can the Parish help me enroll my children in a Catholic school?

Catholic Schools are entirely administered by the Principal and Staff. You need to find out the requirements for admission to the school. The Parish has no “say” in how schools are run.

How Can I Get the Priest to offer the Mass for my special intentions (e.g. Anniversary of Death, Birthday, Special Need)?

The Priest can offer a Mass. You have to write down the particulars, put it in an envelope, and ask the priest if a Mass can be said. Do this AFTER the Mass you attend or make an appointment to visit the priest in his office. He will usually agree (although recall that some priests are not free to accept these intentions).

Do not hand the priest papers with names, etc. Use the envelope and make an appointment to discuss with the priest.

Please note that the Mass will be said at some date in the calendar of the priest when he is able. Sacred Heart is unable to “announce” or “publish”such intentions.

Should I offer money to the Priest if he says a Mass for my intentions?

Masses — and all spiritual ministries — are not “for sale.”

The Priest is offering a spiritual ministry for your intentions. You may offer a ministry to your priest for his well-being. Money is appropriate, which supplements the priest’s salary (JOD 360 per month). You can put your “offering” directly into the envelope. The customary offering varies by place. The basic offering usually is an amount which would allow your priest to get lunch at a modest restaurant.

Does the priest attend family and social events like birthdays, Baptism parties, anniversaries, school and social functions, etc.?

In many of our home communities, there are many priests. In Jordan, we do not enjoy this surplus, and the priests are not usually “of your culture,” and thus often unfamiliar with certain practices. Thus, he will not replicate your cultural or ethnic experience of the clergy “at home.”

Your priest will attend to the preaching of the Gospel carefully, to the proper celebration of the sacraments with and for you, to the good order of the parish, and he will cooperate with lay-led ministries for the poor, for the young, for the excluded. He will be a resource for spirituality, but will usually not know or be able to deliver your traditional devotions and practices; he will, however, support you when you take responsibility for such.


To access some of the most frequently asked questions by members and people of the parish, Click here